Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday adventure pre-Shabbat

Jerusalem was expecting a storm today. But I woke up to some beautiful sunshine and sporadic clouds. I wanted to go do a mitzvah before going to the limudim, learning, session.

Bikur Cholim is one of three hospitals in Jerusalem. It is located in the middle of Jerusalem and is the first hospital to respond when there were terrorist attacks in the city center. But today, they are very proud of the new, new infant care unit. I met with the public relations director who is thrilled to share the important work of this hospital. There are some wonderful opportunities for mitzvah projects here.

Following the visit I started walking to the convention center for the Beit Midrash, opportunity to study. It started to drizzle and then the heavens opened up and the rain came pouring down. There was lightening, thunder and hail. I dropped into Machaneh Yehudah, the open air market with some cover. I stopped and picked up some chocolate for my host family tonight and hoped to wait out the rain. No such luck, it only kept coming down. So, I put up my hood and umbrella and headed toward the convention center. It was very comical, but I finally made it and joined in on the learning with American and Israeli colleagues.

Now, I'm on the bus heading to Haifa for Shabbat services and home hospitality. Unfortunately, there was a bad accident on the road we would usually take. We turned around and took a more inland highway. The drive was very interesting as we drove parallel to the security fence and in an area that used to have a lot of tension. But today, with the fence the highway is now very safe.

So, here we head to the north. There is rain in the valleys and snow on Mt Harmon.

Shabbat Shalom!
Heidi


-- Post From My iPhone in Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment