Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Helping Israeli Economy

Before the conference begins tonight, I decided that I needed to do my part in helping the Israeli economy with some retail therapy. I have to say, there is nothing like wandering the streets of Jerusalem with no agenda but just to be here and enjoy the sights, sounds and people.

Today, being a work day, has a flavor of those walking along with a mission of needing to get from one place to the other. But there are still those tourist groups along the streets and heading with purpose to sites throughout.

It was an honor to visit with an aquantance at his son's bris. He invited a few of us to attend, but I didn't think I would actually attend. But as I was walking up the street toward the city center, I turned into the Hotel where it was to take place. Michelle and I were dressed in jeans and went with the intention of a quick "mazal tov," but he insisted we stay. We were definitely not dressed for the ocassion. Not that there is a dress code in Jerusalem - but we were not "dressed" like all the other women in the room on our side of the mechitza. OK, so we got a few looks, but nothing that made us feel too uncomfortable.

While it was an honor to celebrate with the community as another child is welcomed into the covenant, there is still something to be said with the liturgy we as Reform Jews have created that brings everyone together in the ceremony.

I finally met up with my roomy, Lisa, and after a quick lunch at Rimon cafe, headed to the new Mamilla shopping area, then wandered into the Jaffa gate. Without really thinking that we were going to go to the Old City, we found ourselves wandering the streets all the way down to the kotel plaza. We didn't go in to the plaza area as we will be there tomorrow morning for Rosh Chodesh and the Women of the Wall's morning service.

Finally, we've wandered back to the hotel for a quick freshening up and then to the opening of the CCAR Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment